Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bridesmaids (2011)

Director: Paul Feig
Writers: Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumolo
Stars: Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph and Rose Byrne
Release Date: 13 May 2011 (USA)

A couple of days back thanks to Mikhaela and United International Pictures, I got a chance to catch the premiere of this movie Bridesmaid over in E@Curve. First thing that came to my mind when I heard of the movie title was, is this a horror movie? I'm not sure why, but Bridesmaid do give me the perception its a horror movie. I was so wrong, Bridesmaid is this really funny comedy / chick flick which I guess anyone who has a wedding coming up soon can relate to.

So what's the whole deal about this movie by Universal studios? The tagline writes from the producer of Superbad, Knocked Up, and the 40-Year-Old Virgin, all of which I really loved watching. Think of the movie Hangover, replace the guys with these 6 ladies including the bride, minus the crassness and you have a pretty rough idea about the movie Bridesmaid.

Bridesmaid tells the tale about Lillian (Maya Rudolph), who is getting married and appoints Annie (Kristen Wiig) to be her maid of honor. Now being a maid of honor is both a huge responsibility, and requires proper planning, one which Annie seems to have trouble from the start. Annie meets four other bridesmaid who portrays various characters. Now everything would be fine and dandy, if not for one of the bridesmaid Helen (Rose Byrne), a perfectionist who takes upon herself to plan out the perfect, over the top marriage.

From then on, we see a competition between Annie and Helen over who can show better results, one which Annie failed rather badly. The other four bridesmaid come together to provide even more hillarious moments in the movie. We have Rita (Wendy McLendon-Covey), a frustrated mum of 3 teenage sons who's line "There's semen everywhere. One blanket actually cracked" really cracked me up. Then we have Megan (Melissa McCarthy), who is both crass and really tactless, but is in fact a rather lovable character, once you get to really know her. The final bridesmaid would be Becca (Ellie Kemper) who is a newlywed that have never experienced anything really "fun".
It was one hilarious scene after another, mostly jokes which have double meaning and are rather sexual in nature. I wouldn't really call this a chick flick as I'm sure a teenage girl might come out feeling sad after learning all the horrors of preparing for a wedding. There were some moments of rather draggy scenes, but overall I rather like this movie. I would rate this movie a 6.5/10. Do catch it in the cinemas just for the laughs. I leave you with the trailer to Bridesmaid below.

Part 1        Part 2        Part 3        Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment